Wednesday, December 13, 2006

HE-MAN/SHE-RA - A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL


It's a birthday celebration for the royal twins, Prince Adam and Princess Adora! Friends and family have gathered together to join the celebration but the party gets interrupted when Orko accidentally blasts off in Man-At-Arms' dimension-jumping ship and crash lands on Earth. On Earth, Orko meets two children who are lost in the woods and with the help of He-Man and She-Ra, they are all brought back to Eternia. But Skeletor and Hordak have teamed up and are waiting for their arrival! They plan to kidnap the Earth children and stop the joy and happiness of the Earth-holiday known as Christmas that they are introducing to Eternia!


Fans of both He-Man and She-Ra will jump for joy when watching this Christmas special because it is the ultimate crossover special between the two franchises with almost every character showing their face at least once throughout the hour-long show! If anyone wanted to see He-Man and She-Ra join forces to battle Skeletor and Hordak, then this is the place to look!

I honestly have to say this special, like the rest of the series, is quite awful. The animation, due to the shoestring budget, is so bad that it makes [adult swim] shows like Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Harvey Birdman look like Disney.


The story isn't much better. When Skeletor asks the kids what Christmas is, the answer comes out sounding so ridiculous that an evil despot such as Skeletor wouldn't ever think of turning over a new leaf. The plot and dialogue, like so many of the series' episodes, are so shallow that even the youngest kids can understand them.

But that doesn't leave much for the older fans. In fact, the only real appeal I find in this show is nostalgia. I watched it when I was younger, had a bunch of the toys, but if I were to discover the show nowadays I would find it a laugh riot.

But the fact is that He-Man is a part of eighties culture and those who love it, love it a lot.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Well I started watching He-Man about... I dno, 6 months ago? I think it's great. Of course I don't love it for the great animation, plot or writing. But it's just so 80's... and so terrible. I actually enjoy watching it. The Christmas special was definitely cheesy and those little human kids bugged the heck out of me. But I can just imagine kids who were into it at the time getting a huge kick out of Skeletor's change of attitude towards Christmas.