Thursday, November 02, 2006

THURSDAY THEME SONG: ACE VENTURA

Welcome to November everyone! Time for a new theme for THURSDAY THEME SONGS! This month's theme is 'Cartoon Spin-Offs of Live-Action Movies'. This week's theme is a television spin-off of the two Ace Ventura movies from 1994 and 1995.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Jim Carry was an unknown when he made Ace Ventura: Pet Detective but his portrayal of the titular character was so popular that not only did he make a sequel but the character also got a television series of the same name. He then went on to make The Mask which also got it's own cartoon spin-off.

The show ran one season from 1995-1997 and was animated by the Canadian animation company, Nelvana. Carry did not return as the voice of Ace, that job was given to Michael Hall. A few of the other characters from the movies returned in the show but none of them were voiced by the original actors either.

While the movies relied on its distinct cartoonish sense of humour, the cartoon went for a different feel. Since the cartoon already has a cartoonish sense of humour due to that being its very nature, the writers resorted to toilet humour to bring in the laughs. Having said that, it should be no surprise when I tell you that Family Guy's Seth McFarlane was one of the head writers for the show.

The series didn't gain the audience that Warner Bros had hoped for so it was canned. And thus is the fate of most cartoon spin-offs of live-action movies.

8 comments:

Katie said...

hmm... I'm trying to think if there's any successful live action movie spin offs. I'll come up with something. Just you wait.

coolshades said...

I'm not a fan of toilet humor...especially in cartoons...

Was this meant for children or adults? Reason I'm asking is because the film wasn't meant to be a children's film...so it doesn't make sense, imo, for them to make a children's cartoon out of a film marketed to adults...

Kurtis Findlay said...

Yeah, this was a kids cartoon. Executives don't worry about that kind of thing. They just see $$$.

coolshades said...

Pbfft...figures...anything for the almighty dollar...

Kurtis Findlay said...

Hey anonymous, I checked out your site and I think it is the biggest waste of time. It's the biggest scam and only the biggest losers would be suckered into this.

Spectre said...

Refret to inform you, but

THE LINK IS DEAD :(

yet again, i couldnt find another source. Fix if possible.

Hey, nice blog! xD

Kurtis Findlay said...

Just like with the Sam & Max theme, Nelvana has removed all of their work from youtube.

I'm gonna have to find some other way to host videos. I'll let you know when that happens.

Anonymous said...

I just got the Deluxe Ultra Collector's Edition from Mal-Wart (both movies and the entire cartoon series for like $12). The movies are far more cartoonish than I remembered them being, and a bit less child-friendly. I didn't mind though as I dislike children myself. :)

I'm settling in to watch the cartoon series this weekend. I'm crossing my fingers in the hope that it will elevate this purchase into actually being worth that $12.