Monday, October 23, 2006

DO YOU LIKE ANTS?

There has been a lot of talk about all the ant movies that have come out recently and how everyone is tired of ants. Well, The Ant Bully came out a few months ago but before that the only two other ant movies I know about are Antz and A Bug's Life which were both released eight years ago! An eight year gap between movies should mean that it would be okay to release another movie featuring the same animals. The public doesn't think so.

What I want to know is which one of the three is your favourite? Have you even seen any of these three? Here is some info (All box office totals are US domestic):

Antz
Producer: Dreamworks
Release date: October 2, 1998
Starring: Woody Allen, Dan Aykroyd, Sylvester Stallone
Box Office: $90 million dollars




A Bug's Life
Producer: Pixar/Disney
Release date: November 14, 1998
Starring: Dave Foley, Kevin Spacey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Box Office: $162 million dollars




The Ant Bully
Producer: DNA Productions (distributed by Warner Bros)
Release date: July 28, 2006
Starring: Julia Roberts, Nicolas Cage, Meryl Streep
Box Office: $28 million dollars (as of today)


1 comment:

Katie said...

I've only seen Antz and Bug's Life. I was opposed to Antz when it came out because Bug's Life had been advertised first (even though it came out second) and when I saw that Dreamworks was making this Antz movie, I was like, "Ah man! They're just copying Pixar!" (Same with Finding Nemo/Shark Tale) It's been a long time since I've seen Antz, but I think it was much more of an "adult" movie about bugs. I may say it was better than Bug's Life, but I'd really have to see it again to say for sure.

I think the reason people are still like, "What? Another ant movie??" is specifically because those two came out so close together, so we felt bombarded with ant movies. We're gonna be the same way with penguin movies (Happy Feet and Surfs Up that were also proceeded by the Madagascar penguin sequal and March of the Penguins). For some reason that's just the response when two movies starring the same animal come out so close together... whether or not there's an 8 year gap before the next one.