Tuesday, March 27, 2007

TURTLE BOX OFFICE POWER



This past weekend saw the opening of five new movies, including The Hills Have Eyes 2 and Reign Over Me, but it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that took the box office this weekend beating out two-week champion 300.

I have not seen this movie yet but I'm glad to see that the Turtles have not lost their touch. Eighties children fell in love with the old cartoon and the popularity lasted through the mid-nineties with ten seasons of cartoons and three live action feature films.

The franchise looked like it may be in trouble in in late nineties with a terrible, live-action version of the show that was supposed to be a continuation of the movies but ended up being garbage. But the new Turtles show that came out a few years ago showed that the Turtles could still be popular. Hopefully this movie will solidify the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise for a long time coming.

I plan to see this movie on Easter weekend so I'll try to get a review of it up in the few days following.

5 comments:

Maple said...

I'm actually fairly excited for this movie as well. I loved TMNT as a child, and both my brother and I thoroughly enjoyed the 80's movies that they made.

I unfortunately do not like the new animated series, possibly because I dislike change. They're not the Turtles -I- grew up with, therefore I instinctually do not like them. And what's with the Hummer? Seriously. Someone should get on that.

This is the same way I feel about the new version of He-man. I watched one or two episodes, sighed, and vowed never to watch them again.

coolshades said...

I'm still perturbed by the fact that they got rid of Shredder just to try to make it more kid-friendly. Kids watched Shredder in the 80s (including me...and my parents were rather strict), so why can't they watch him now?

Kurtis Findlay said...

Also, Shredder in the 80s TMNT was a wuss! He wasn't a threat at all! It was Krang that was the force to be feared!

meghan, I enjoy the new show because it brings it back to its comic book roots. But I understand your POV. I know a lot of people who don't like the new show because it doesn't have the same treatment as the 80s version.

Anonymous said...

They got rid of Shredder?!

The 80's child in me cries.

Was TMNT orginally based on a comic? All I knew was when I was about 6 or 7, the Turtles were awesome and promoted eating pizza, which every kid approves of. I'm sure if I knew more about comic-based stuff I'd be more appreciative.

Kurtis Findlay said...

Check it out on Wikipedia, meghan! The comicbook started in 1984 as a superhero parody. The characters and stories, while a bit goofy, were treated seriously and it was quite a dark book.

The new TMNT show follows the same mood and tries to mimick the look as well. Even several of the storylines, such as the "City at War" arc, are taken directly from the comics!

Check it out with that in mind and maybe you'll find yourself enjoying the Turtles on a new level.