Wednesday, September 13, 2006

JUDGING THE JUDGE

Thank you everyone who came out to yesterday's animation night. We had a wonderful time watching some of the work of Mike Judge. Unfortunately we couldn't get a hold of any of his early work like Milton and Frog Baseball or his more interesting projects like the Animation Show and Spike and Mike's. We were limited to Beavis and Butt-Head and King of the Hill.

But it wasn't all bad. Those two shows are both a great example of his drawing and animation style and Mike does most of the voices in B&BH and a few in KOTH too.

Beavis and Butt-Head follows the unexciting adventures of two slacker students in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Beavis and his friend Butt-Head usually have sex on their minds and their 'indestrucable teenager' way of living often gets them into trouble. But these two always come out of it smiling and laughing.

King of the Hill is the second longest running animated series next to the Simpsons. If follows the life of the Hill family in Arlen, Texas and their daily encounters with (usually) un-PC hillbilliy behaivour.

This show stays grounded in reality. The characters although animated do not do many 'cartoony' things. This series could very well be live action.

The character designs are based on Mike's unique style and Mike does the voice for Hank Hill and Boomhauer.

Here is last night's program:

Beavis and Butt-Head - Butt is it Art?
Beavis and Butt-Head - Figure Drawing
Beavis and Butt-Head - Home Improvements
Beavis and Butt-Head - dEUS music video, Suds and Soda
Beavis and Butt-Head - Wilco music video, Box Full of Letters
Beavis and Butt-Head - Pantera, This Love
King of the Hill - Luanne's Saga
King of the Hill - Peggy the Boggle Champ
South Park, Bigger Longer, Uncut - Last scene (Mike is the unmuffled voice of Kenny)


Next animation night: September 26! Be there!

4 comments:

Kurtis Findlay said...

Eddie, thanks for checking out my blog. But your generic "very nice" makes me believe that your comment is just spam.

Comment me again when you link my blog then I will link yours.

Katie said...

heheh... yes, very nice :)

Yeah, I wish we coulda gotten our hands on some lesser known Mike Judge stuff. Oh well... not bad for last minute.

It's weird, I really don't like Mike Judge's animation, but I love his sense of humor. Even with Beavis and Butthead.. like... yeah, it's stupid humor for the most part... but every now and then it's just intelligent enough that it's hillarious. And King of the Hill has such well written characters that just their hillbilly absurdities are funny. I know it's fairly stereotyped... but at the same time those characters are realistic enough that it meets the "It's funny 'cause it's true" requirement.

coolshades said...

Beavis and Butt-Head has always been off-limits in the coolshades household. It just seems way too crude for me to actually enjoy it. Yeah...I know I'm a stick in the mud :P

I've never watched King of the Hill...and one of the things that has made me uninterested in it is the animation style. It just doesn't seem like very good animation to me. But maybe that's just because it's not the "disney-esque" animation that I'm used to.

Adam said...

I was going to come out to the animation party but it was too long a drive. As soon as I perfect my space bending machine, you should be seeing me a lot more often.